My application was returned because something was missing. What can I do?
Due to mailing delays caused by COVID-19, we’ll now return incomplete applications by email if we’ve made a digital copy. Otherwise, we’ll mail it back to you.
Be sure to check the email you gave us when you submitted if you
- are waiting to hear about your application or
- think there may be forms or documents missing
If we return your application because it’s incomplete, we also send you a letter and a checklist that explain why and what’s missing.
When you send your application back, make sure you
- add any document or information that was missing the first time and include the letter and checklist we sent you
- write a letter that explains why you’re changing or updating your information, or why you can’t get the document we requested
If you applied on paper and we returned your application by email, find out how to resubmit your documents.
You can use all the same documents and payment receipts to apply again. Make sure the signatures are still valid.
- We must get your application within 90 days from the date you signed it.
- The date you signed it can’t be in the future (postdated).
If you need to, you can fill out, sign and date new forms.
You should also read the application guide to see if anything changed since the last time you applied.
The processing time only starts the day we receive your complete application. If we returned your application by mistake, we’ll use the date we first received your application.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out and validate IRCC application forms with 2D barcodes?
- Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is an application number?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my citizenship application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
- Date modified: