Applying - General
Determining your eligibility
Completing an application form
- How do I fill out an IRCC application?
- How do I fill out and validate IRCC application forms with 2D barcodes?
- Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
- What is an application number?
- What is my client ID?
- What is a UCI?
- Where can I find my client ID/UCI?
- I forgot my client ID/UCI. How can I get it?
- When will I get my client ID/UCI?
- What do you mean by surname?
- I don’t know what dates to put in the history section on my immigration form. What do I do?
- I don’t have enough space on the form to explain everything. What should I do?
- What if some of the questions on the application form don’t apply to me?
- How do I fill out my application for a citizenship certificate if I don’t know everything about my parents or grandparents?
- How do I apply for an open work permit?
- What language should my supporting documents be in?
- If I am not using a representative, do I need to send a blank Use of a Representative form?
- What should I do if I want my spouse, family member or friend to check on my application for me?
- How can I get my immigration application processed faster?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- If my immigration application is refused, do I have to wait before I apply again?
- Can my friend or family member handle my immigration or citizenship application for me?
- The refugee our group wanted to sponsor was refused after an interview. Can we appeal?
See also: Downloading files
Paying application fees
- How can I pay my application fees?
- How do I pay online?
- How do I reset my password for the online payment system?
- Can I pay my fees at a bank in Canada?
- Is my payment receipt form (IMM 5401) still valid?
- How can I get a copy of my receipt after paying my fees?
- I can’t access my online payment account to get a copy of my receipt. What can I do?
- Why is my online payment being refused?
- I tried to pay online but it was incomplete. Why is it showing on my bank statement?
- How do I pay online if I don’t have a credit card or a bank account?
- Can someone else pay for my fees?
- What browsers can I use to pay online?
- What is the Right of Permanent Residence Fee?
- I submitted my application with the old permanent residence fees. Will my application be rejected or returned?
- I submitted my application and paid the processing fee before April 30, 2022. I haven’t paid the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) yet. Do I pay the old or new RPRF?
- I received a letter from IRCC saying that my permanent residence application is incomplete. I paid the old fees already, but want to submit a new application. How do I pay my new permanent residence fees?
See also: Getting a fee refund
Submitting an application
- How do I submit my application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- I was told that my permanent resident card was sent to me but I did not get it yet. What should I do?
- I legally changed my name. How do I update my PR card?
- How can I get help with my immigration or citizenship application?
- If I need the documents I mailed in, how will you return them to me if IRCC isn’t using Canada Post mail services?
- I don't have a document I need to submit. What should I do?
- My application was returned because something was missing. What can I do?
- My application was returned by email. Can I resubmit copies of these documents?
- My application was returned by email. How do I re-submit it?
- You returned my application by email. Can I get my documents back?
- Why was my application returned to me by email?
- How do I get priority processing if I’m a resident of Hong Kong?
- How do I complete the web form if I applied for permanent residence under a pilot program?
- How can I find a doctor to do my immigration medical exam?
- Why do I need a medical examination?
- How is the processing time affected if I need a medical exam?
- You asked me for additional medical information. How will this affect the processing time?
- How can I check the status of my medical exam results?
- Can I have a medical exam done in advance to speed up my application?
- I’m pregnant. Can I wait until after I give birth to take the medical exam?
- I have applied for permanent residence. My spouse or partner and children are not coming with me. Do they need to get a medical exam?
- I want to work in a job that requires a medical exam, but I already have my work permit or authorization. What do I do?
- I think I’m exempt, why are you asking me for a medical exam?
- Why do I need to get a police certificate?
- When should I submit a police certificate?
- What if I can't get a police certificate for my immigration application?
- Do I need to get a police certificate for my time in Canada?
- Are there any countries where I should get police certificates from before applying for immigration?
- My police certificate is not in English or French. Do I need to send a translation?
- What is an affidavit for a translation?
- How do I give my fingerprints and get an RCMP criminal record check from inside or outside Canada?
Changing your address
- How can I change my address or contact information for my immigration or citizenship application?
- What is the difference between the Change of Address and the Address Notification online services?
- Who can use the Change of Address and the Address Notification online services?
- Who cannot use the Change of Address online service?
- Can I email my new address to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)?
- How long does it take for a new or updated address to appear online?
- Why does it take 5 business days for address changes to appear online?
- I am in Canada temporarily, as a worker, visitor or student. Why can’t I change my address online?
- When should I tell Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that I am moving?
- How can I check that my address has been updated?
- I have changed my address online but I can’t see the changes. What should I do?
- How can I change the address of other people who were included in my immigration or citizenship application?
- Do I have to enter a change of address for each dependant?
- Do I have to enter an address notification for each dependant?
- Which applicants can access the Change of Address or the Address Notification online service?
- I live outside Canada. Can I update my mailing or home address online?
- I changed my address in CAS. Do I need to change it in Change of Address or Address Notification, too?
- If I remove my application status from the Internet on CAS, can I still use Change of Address or Address Notification?
- I can’t access Change of Address or Address Notification. What should I do?
Getting a fee refund
- My application was refused. Can I get a refund?
- If I withdraw my application, will I get a refund?
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- I submitted an application but want to change programs. Can I apply the fees I already paid to my new application?
- I paid my fees online but decided not to submit an application. Can I get a refund?
- I didn’t pay enough for my application. What can I do?
- I paid too much for my application. Can I get a refund?
- I paid online for the wrong fee but the amount is correct. What should I do?
- How do I ask for a refund if I paid my fees online or at a bank in Canada?
- How do I withdraw my permanent resident card application?
- I got a refund but it was not the same amount I paid. Why?
Extending visas and permits
- Date modified: