Sponsoring your spouse, partner or dependent child
Get help to open an application form or to fill one out in the Help Centre.
Get ready to apply
We won’t ask you for original supporting documents anymore. We now accept copies. You should still have your originals in case we ask you for them during processing.
You must now apply online
As of September 23, 2022, you must now apply online for this program.
If you can’t apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, you can ask for the application in another format (paper, braille or large print).
The Complete Guide (IMM 5289) has important information about:
- how to apply
- how to avoid common mistakes
- how to fill out the forms
- other more detailed information
If you’re sponsoring your adopted child or a child you will adopt in Canada, use the application kit to sponsor adopted children and other relatives instead.
Get your checklist, forms and instructions
You need one photo for each person on your application.
Follow the instructions in the online application to scan and upload both sides of your photo.
Using an immigration representative
If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.
If you want to appoint someone to do business with us on your behalf, you must
- download a Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.48 MB) or Authority to release personal information to a designated individual form [IMM 5475] (PDF, 2.2 MB) – which ever applies
- complete it
- sign it (digitally or by hand) and get your immigration representative to do so also
- upload it with your application
An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee. But they can’t
- open a portal account on your behalf
- electronically sign the application for you
- sign into the portal using your username and password
A representative can fill out forms and communicate with us on your behalf through their own account. They can also
- help you prepare the documents you need to upload
- answer questions about the forms
After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.
Details for the person being sponsored
Sign in or create a Permanent residence online application portal account.
Get your fingerprints and photo taken
If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics).
Find out if you need to give your biometrics
- You must pay the biometric fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays.
- Get this done as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give biometrics.
- You have 30 days to do this from the date on the letter.
Temporary changes to biometrics
Book your biometric appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays.
If you can’t book an appointment by the deadline on your biometric instruction letter, there may be temporary measures in place to help you.
If you’re having technical issues applying, contact us using the web form
- under type of application/enquiry, choose technical difficulties from the drop-down menu
- in the text box, specify the program you’re applying under
- upload screenshots from your account that show us
- the page where you’re having problems
- the error message(s) you get
If you need to upload a number of images, find out how to combine them into 1 document.
Pay your fees online
Find out how to pay your fees.
Working in Canada
If you already have a work permit, you can keep working as long as the permit is valid.
If you’re living in Canada with the person sponsoring you, you can also apply for an open work permit when you apply for permanent residence. Find out more about how to apply for an open work permit online.
Submit your online application
Before you submit your application, make sure you:
- answer all questions
- electronically sign your application (type your full name exactly as shown on your passport)
- include your processing fee receipt
- upload all the supporting documents
If your application is incomplete, we’ll reject it. You’ll have to fix any errors and then re-submit it.
Get updates about your application online
If you and the person you are sponsoring meet the eligibility requirements, we will mail or email you a request to link your application to an online account.
Find out how to link your application to your account after you create an account or sign in.
Having trouble? See the top questions about linking your application in the Help Centre.
- Date modified: