Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I want to extend my expiring work permit, but I don’t have a new LMIA or CAQ yet. What should I do?

You can apply without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) if your work permit expires within 2 weeks of the date that you apply.

You must include both

  • proof of a valid job offer
  • proof that the LMIA or CAQ request was made, by either
    • including a copy of the application sent to Service Canada or the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
    • including a copy of the receipt confirmation number, if the request was made online
    • indicating, in the section Details of Intended Work in Canada of the work permit application,
      • the date the LMIA/CAQ request was sent,
      • the office it was sent to,
      • the employer’s name, and
      • the confirmation number for the submission, if available.

If you’re waiting for your CAQ

When you apply online, you’ll be asked to upload a copy of your CAQ. If you have a copy of the receipt confirmation number or a copy of the application, you can upload those documents instead.

When you get your LMIA or CAQ

You must send us proof that you’ve received the LMIA or CAQ within 60 days of the date your application was received. If not, your application could be refused.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: