Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can non-residents of Canada who are conducting genealogical research access family records held by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada?

Non-residents of Canada are only eligible to make requests for their own personal information under the Privacy Act.

However, you may consider the following options for seeking other personal information records from IRCC:

  1. If the personal information you seek pertains to an individual who has been deceased for more than 20 years, you may ask a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to submit an Access to Information Act request on your behalf. Please note that any available records will be provided directly to the individual who submitted the request.

    You may also wish to consult Library and Archives Canada’s Genealogy and Family History website for information about their records and resources.

  2. If the personal information you seek pertains to an individual who is living, you may submit a request under the Privacy Act for the individual’s personal information but only with that individual’s written consent. This written authorization must state that you are permitted to make a request and receive information on the individual’s behalf.

For information about how to submit a request for information, visit IRCC’s Access to information and privacy webpage.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: