Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I stayed in Canada longer than I was supposed to. How do I restore my status as a visitor?

Floods in British Columbia

If you’re directly affected by the floods, you may be able to

  • get free replacement of documents that are lost, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible due to the floods
  • ask for urgent processing and a refund for an application you’ve submitted because of the floods
  • change, extend or restore your status, including
    • pausing your studies if your school is in the flood area
    • changing your employer if your workplace is affected by the floods

Find out how to apply

In some cases, if it’s been less than 90 days since your visitor status expired, you can apply to restore it.

Use your document checklist to get the forms and documents you need. When you complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor (IMM 5708), make sure you:

  • Select Restore my status as a visitor (under section 3 at the top of the form).
  • Give details of your situation and the reason you stayed in Canada longer than allowed (under section 2 of the background information).

You must also pay the restoration fee.

There is no guarantee that your application will be approved.

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: