My citizenship application is being processed. How will the 2017 legislation changes affect my application?
If we received your completed application before October 11, 2017, then only some of the changes will apply to you.
Language and knowledge requirements
If you were a minor (an applicant between 14 and 17 years of age at the time you applied) you won’t need to meet language requirements or take a knowledge test.
If you were between 18 and 54 years old when you applied, you will still need to meet the language requirement and pass a knowledge test.
If you were between 55 and 64 years old when you applied, you won’t need to meet language requirements or take a knowledge test.
If you have received a notice to appear for a knowledge test or language assessment, IRCC will be contacting you about the next steps in your application.
Time spent in Canada
The changes to the amount of time you must be physically present in Canada do not apply to you. You must meet the physical presence requirements that were in place at the time you submitted your application.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
Form and guide
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Adult
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Minor applying with parent or guardian
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Minor applying alone
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Adopted person
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Stateless person born to a Canadian parent
- Application for Canadian Citizenship – Canadian Armed Forces
- Date modified: